Hummingbird Month in the Land Between the Lakes!
I can actually remember the very first hummingbird I ever saw. My dad (where I got both my insane love of birds AND coffee from) pointed out a tiny little ball of motion that was hovering near one of his rose beds. When he asked if I knew what it was, I said it looked like the world’s largest dragonfly moving really, really, really fast. When he said it was a “hummingbird,” I thought he was pulling my leg – since it happened to be his favorite sport, it was never out of the question.
My mom backed up his story and a lifelong infatuation with these tiny beauties was born.
If you have an ongoing fascination with hummingbirds, you’ll want to be in the Land Between the Lakes in early August. The Hummingbird Festival will take place on Saturday and Sunday (August 2-3, 2014) from 10am to 4pm.
From Woodlands Nature Station and LBL.org:
- Observe and learn as scientists band hummingbirds for migratory research.
- Visit with local artists as they demonstrate their craft; buy some art to take home with you.
- Talk with a local beekeeper as you check out our honeybee observation hive; purchase local bee products.
- Find out how to attract bluebirds and other wildlife into your backyard; buy some native plants at our sale.
- Visit the Hummingbird Gift Store to purchase feeders and more.
- Discover our resident wildlife such as a bald eagle, bobcat, owls, snakes, and our new, red wolf pup.
- Bring the kids for crafts, games, face painting, and scavenger hunt.
If you like Ruby-Throated hummingbirds, this is the weekend for you! Delight in watching more of these flying gems in one place than you can count! This year, discover “The Art of Hummingbirds,” featuring the artwork of local nature artists, inspired by the tiny hummingbirds and their outdoor neighbors. View a gallery of wildlife art, get tips from the experts, and even try your hand at wildlife photography and illustration. As always, you can also view our ongoing hummingbird banding demonstrations by licensed banders, as well as participate in a variety of programs and activities going on throughout the weekend. Bring the whole family, there will be plenty for kids to do too! Be sure to check back for further updates about the weekend’s schedule of programs and activities.$6 for adults; $4 for kids ages 5-12; Free for ages 4 and under. Event will take place rain or shine.
Click HERE for more information (the PDF will open in a new window).
See Also: How to Attract Hummingbirds to Your Yard