All Facilities will Close by 5pm December 5 (Today)
Many of us here in Kentucky are loading the pantry, filling up with gas, and taking extra precautions with our outdoor pets today. A winter storm is predicted to cause a little (lets hope it’s a little and not a lot) havoc. All of us – even though we know it won’t be as bad – have been remembering the 2009 ice storm… and the memories aren’t warm and fuzzy.
Wherever you are, be sure to stay safe. Hit the store today for everything you think you’ll need for the coming days – for you and your family (which, of course, includes your pets!). Be sure you have non-perishable food, bottles of water, pet food, prescriptions, other medications you may need (Tylenol, allergy medicines, etc.), toilet paper, toiletries, and other necessities.
- Charge all of your devices – in the event of a power loss.
- Have your clothes, towels, and bed clothes all washed up, dried, and ready to see you through a few days.
- Tune in to your local news & weather station and pray that things don’t get too ugly.
- If, like me, you’re a tree-hugging bird-loving, squirrel-loving, protector of all that scurries and flies, provide extra dried corn, peanuts, birdseed, and fresh (unfrozen) water for our friends outside. The birds at our feeders must watch Wayne Hart (weather superhero in the Owensboro area), they’ve been hitting our bird feeding stations especially hard the past few days. They remind me of myself at Kroger yesterday!
The coming storm has prompted the Land Between the Lakes to take action, for visitor’s safety. Below is the LBL’s News Release:
Due to inclement weather moving into the region, Land Between The Lakes (LBL) National Recreation Area will close all facilities by 5pm Thursday, December 5. All visitors will be asked to leave, including campers in backcountry areas.
Turkey Bay Off-Highway Vehicle Area and Trails will close at 5pm, Wednesday, December 4.
Land Between The Lakes is in the process of notifying individuals that their camping and other program reservations are cancelled for this weekend.
facilities and activities include:
- Administrative Offices
- Backcountry and Self-Service Camping
- Brandon Spring Group Center
- Golden Pond Planetarium and Observatory
- Golden Pond Target Range
- Golden Pond Visitor Center
- Trails and Scenic Roadways
- Turkey Bay OHV Area – closes Wednesday
- Wranglers Campground
According to Tina Tilley, Land Between The Lakes Area Supervisor, “The safest decision is to close Land Between The Lakes due to hazardous road conditions with freezing rain, sleet, snow, and freezing temperatures predicted for our area. When conditions allow, we will reopen.”