Potatoes, Salads, Phillys, Pitas, Nachos...
Spudz and Stuff Garden Spud
Varying members of our large family love to get together in Owensboro at least once a week for lunch and laughs. Our goofy cast of characters supply the laughs and whichever restaurant we’re in the mood for supplies the lunch. Fortunately, there are a great number of Owensboro Restaurants to choose from.
To add to the decision-making proceedings, we have several “food determiners” in our group:
- One of my daughters is a vegetarian and has followed a very strict vegetarian diet over half of her life
- Another daughter has a wheat/gluten allergy and is now adhering to a very strict gluten free diet. Even cross-contamination is a real danger, causing frightening reactions.
- I, myself, have to eat gluten and wheat free. My body has decided that they’re poison and will react violently if I allow them on the premises.
Even with these stipulations, we’ve found that Owensboro still offers us a lot of variety.
One of the most delicious options is Spudz -N-Stuff off of Highway 54.
Not long ago, my husband brought a couple of Spudz -N-Stuff’s Garden Spuds to me and one of our daughters (the vegetarian). I’d been craving another since then, so we went to Spudz -N-Stuff Friday for lunch. With salads and potatoes, gluten-free meals isn’t a problem in the least. What’s more, they have SO many options that the meat-lovers in the family (daughter number 3, for example, probably loves chicken more than Colonel Sanders ever did and her husband eats meat with every meal… I can’t prove it but I’m fairly certain he’d put bacon on his Cheerios!).
“The Vegetarian” and I ordered the same thing – the WONDERFULLY DELICIOUS and fresh-tasting Garden Spud. The baked potato is topped with cheddar, mozzarella, lettuce, grilled mushrooms, tomato, green onion, and ranch dressing. Words can’t even describe how delicious it is.
You may be like I was BEFORE I ate at Spudz and Stuff – wondering if a baked potato can be filling. Let’s just put it this way – we all left the restaurant wondering if we’d even eat supper later. When 4:30 rolled around, I still wasn’t the least bit interested in food. So, yes, these potatoes will most definitely fill you up. Males and females, alike.
There were two males in our group Friday and they left with serious “I’m stuffed!” faces too.
Spudz-N-Stuff’s Chicken-N-Broccoli Spud
My “Gluten Free” daughter ordered the Chicken-N-Broccoli Spud (pictured above). According to her it was fantastic. The potato is topped with a yummy combination of cheddar cheese sauce. chicken, broccoli, and real bacon. The combination’s a thing of beauty.
As for the “Chicken Fan” and “Mr. Bacon on His Cheerios,” they each went with the Chicken Bacon Ranch Spud (pictured below). Even though I’m not as in love with chicken as she is, I have to admit – I was tempted by this one! This potato is topped with cheddar, ranch, chicken, and real bacon.
Spudz a-N-Stuff Chicken Bacon Ranch Spud
A word about the REAL bacon… good on Spudz-N-Stuff for using real bacon as opposed to those insane little rubbery “bits” some places use on their potatoes and salads. They taste like a chopped up Barbie doll head and have about the same consistency. The bacon Spudz-N-Stuff uses tastes like it could have just come right out of your morning skillet. Holy cats, does that make a difference?!
“The Vegetarian’s” boyfriend ordered a real masterpiece. It was topped with pulled pork, steak, and I believe bacon. I can’t even find his creation on the menu. I also wasn’t able to snap a picture because when my potato arrived, I dove right in, forgetting everything and everyone else.
I’m kicking myself now because this was one work of art. He loved every bite, too!
I wish at least one of us had branched out and gotten a salad, nachos, or pitas so that the review and pictures would be more varied, but.. what can I say.. we all had Spudz on the mind.
Gosh darn it, I guess we’ll have to go back again soon. Oh, what a shame. A serious case of sarcasm there, in case you couldn’t tell… I cannot wait to go back!
In addition to amazing combinations of potatoes, like the ones above, below are just a few more of the delicious menu items from Spudz-N-Stuff:
- Taco Nachos (cheese sauce, seasoned beef, salsa, jalapenos, lettuce, sour cream, green onions)
- Buffalo Nachos (cheese sauce, grilled chicken, hot sauce, ranch, lettuce, sour cream, green onion)
- Gyro Pita (seasoned lamb, beef,Tzatziki sauce, lettuce, tomato, grilled onion)
- Steak Fajita Pita (steak, cheddar, white American cheese, grilled onions, bell peppers, lettuce, tomato)
- Classic Philly Sub (Philly steak, white American cheese, grilled mushrooms, grilled onions, green bell peppers)
- Sides: Mac-N-Cheese, Broccoli-CHZ-Bacon Bowl, Side Salad, Chips
- Chef Salad, Garden Salad, Grilled Chicken Salad, Taco Salad, Chicken Caesar Salad
- Check out the rest of Spudz-N-Stuff’s Menu online!
Oh! I just found my buddy’s masterpiece of a potato on the menu. It’s under the category “Hungry Man Spudz.” Well played, sir… well played.
There’s a Kid’s Menu in addition to the many, many other options and even brownies for those of us who are card-carrying chocoholics.