Like all good bird watching nerds, I keep a bird journal and they weren’t just days late, they were weeks late!
Next month, August, is actually peak hummingbird viewing season in many parts of the region, including the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.
Hundreds of Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds rest and fuel up in the gardens and feeders at Woodlands Nature Station for their migratory journey south. Nature Station naturalists present special hummingbird programs throughout August included with regular admission to the Nature Station: $5 ages 13 and older, $3 ages 5 to 12, and free for ages 4 and younger.
Optimal hummingbird viewing begins in mid-July and lasts throughout August. The Nature Station provides a unique opportunity for up to 10 people during an Early Morning Hummingbird Photo Session. Photographers may also photograph butterflies, native wildflowers, and rescued wildlife including the red wolves and bobcat during their most active time of day. The Early Morning Hummingbird Photo Sessions begin at 9am on August 13 and 27. The cost is $10 per person. Call 270-924-2020 for reservations.
On August 20, the Nature Station opens early for Hummingbird Café. Enjoy breakfast among the native wildflower gardens and hummingbird feeding frenzy. The cost is $10 per person; call 270-924-2020 for reservations.
Nature Station visitors can enter Nature Station’s first ever Hummingbird Photo Contest by submitting a hummingbird photo taken at the Nature Station during August. Winners will have their photos displayed at Hummingbird Fest 2017. See full contest details on the web at http://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/nature-station-hummingbird-photo-contest-2016/.
- Throughout August – Nature Station Hummingbird Photo Contest
- Friday, August 5, 6-8pm – Dinner with the Hummingbirds (reservations required)
- Saturday & Sunday, August 6 & 7 – 20th Anniversary Hummingbird Festival
- Tuesdays & Thursdays at 10:30am – Morning with the Hummingbirds
- Wednesdays at 11:30am – Hummingbirds of the World
- Saturdays, August 13 & 27 at 9am – Exclusive: Early Morning Photo Session (reservations required)
- Saturday, August 20 at 9am – Hummingbird Café (reservations required)
- Sundays, August 14, 21, & 28 at 2pm – Knee-high Naturalists: Hummingbirds
Contact the Nature Station at 270-924-2299 with questions or for more information about Hummingbird Month.