The Carter Caves region is just another opportunity for Kentucky to show off – and show off it does. This (highly!) photographic region has the highest concentration of caves in Kentucky. Two of the park’s caves offer guided tours year-round: Cascade Cave and X-Cave.
Carter Caves State Resort Park is located in Carter County, Kentucky, along beautiful, peaceful Tygarts Creek. The view is like something you’d picture in a Mark Twain story.
Carter Caves State Resort Park is formed by Carter Caves, and nearby Cascade Caves, which were added to the park in 1959. This beautiful Kentucky State Park features a lodge, cottages, 18 hole putt-putt course, 9 hole golf course, full-service campground, and considerable natural beauty…. as in everywhere you look.
This is another one of Kentucky’s beautiful state parks that gives your camera a workout. There’s something to photograph every which way you turn.
Tierney’s Cavern Restaurant
Tierney’s Cavern Restaurant pays tribute to the caves and to retired park Naturalist John Tierney. The gorgeous restaurant seats 100 and boasts a menu that offers many appetizing new selections from steaks and seafood to salads.
Carter Caves State Resort Park offers many things for the entire family to enjoy:
- Boating – Take a guided canoe trip on the 45-acre Smokey Lake.
- Fishing – Smokey Valley Lake is Kentucky’s first and only trophy bass lake. In addition to largemouth bass, you can try your luck with bluegill, catfish, and crappie. Bait can be purchased at the campground.
- Golf – 9-hole regulation golf course. A pro shop, rental riding carts, pull carts, and clubs are available. Open year-round, weather permitting. View more information.
- Hiking Trails – Enjoy the above ground beauty of Carter Caves on 26 miles of wooded nature trails. Trails range from easy to difficult hiking level ability. The Kiser Hollow Trail is a multi-use 10-mile trail for horseback riding, mountain biking and hiking.
- Horseback Riding Trails – Kiser Hollow Horse Trail permits guests to bring their own horses and ride. The Kiser Hollow trail is open year round. Guided rides are available from 9:00am – 7:00pm only on Saturday and Sunday until October 11. The cost is $15 per person. The trail is 3 1/2 miles and lasts about 45 minutes. Pony rides available for children.
- Gift Shop
- Miniature Golf
Click the following link for up to the minute information on Carter Caves State Resort Park.
Y don’t have more caves open
Peter L. Goforth says
Great resort for the experience!
Any place that has golf and miniature golf is a winner in my eyes. Plenty to do for the whole family.
Carl K says
Played the 9 hole course last year. It was in fantastic shape. I love Carter Caves.
Joi Sigers says
We totally agree, Carl! That is a gorgeous part of Kentucky and I hope we can visit it again really soon. – Joi (“Joy”)
Do you have any updated info on the 9-hole golf? The link you provided no longer works.
Joi Sigers says
Hi, David! I will have to look into this – Thanks so much for letting me know the link no longer works. Not sure if they moved a page or what happened.
Olive Hill might be a small town, but it has a lot to offer. But don’t take our word for it – come see for yourself!