Lake Cumberland State Resort Park’s sign should say, “Welcome to Paradise. You won’t want to leave.” The other side should, then, say, “Told you so.”
I have to admit, when it comes to Kentucky’s State Parks, my favorite is always the one I’m in at the time – or the one I just visited. I always hesitate to say THIS state park or THAT state park is the most beautiful, most special, etc.
Having said all of that, I guarantee you one thing: There is no State Park in Kentucky, or anywhere else, that’s as beautiful as Lake Cumberland State Resort Park. My husband and I visited this state park a few days ago and we’re still throwing adjectives around. Phenomenal. Stunning. Beautiful. Friendly. Special.
Where does one begin?!
Well, why not at the beginning? After passing the sign, the drive into Lake Cumberland State Resort Park might be the most beautiful entrance of any Kentucky State Park. Then again, I love trees more than anyone who has ever been born, so naturally I thought it was just PARADISE. Some places were so filled with lush green beauty, you had the impression you were in a beautiful green tunnel.
The only colors you see are the grays of the tree trunks, the blue sky, and the glorious green trees. Every now and then you can’t even see the sky – the trees are that lush, thick, and beautiful.
As you can tell, it left quite an impression on me.
Lake Cumberland State Resort Park is a photographer’s dream come true.
When I was taking pictures with my new camera he bought me (thank you, thank you, thank you!), my husband kept telling me, “Take pictures of something besides the trees.” But I couldn’t help myself, this tree lover nearly had the shakes.
In fact, a couple of times, when we saw deer, I was too excited to even point and click. I just wanted to take it all in. One time a beautiful deer turned, posed and looked right at me. But all I could do was look back, smile, and tell her how beautiful she was. How can you be expected to snap pictures when you’re communicating with animals?!
It’s probably a good thing I couldn’t see my husband’s face at that point.
Although I did my absolute best (except with the deer) to make Lake Cumberland State Resort Park’s beauty come through in the photos, I’m afraid I didn’t do it justice. To be fair, however, it’s only because pictures CAN’T possibly do it justice. You have to be there, yourself, to truly appreciate this kind of beauty. You have to hear the quiet, see the beauty, and you have to feel the magic.
This adorable chipmunk was a camera hog.
I have a series of posts, slideshows, and picture galleries planned (after all, I took over 100 pictures!) for the Kentucky Blog. It was simply far too much goodness to cover with just one post.
What Makes Lake Cumberland State Resort Park Extra Special?
- When you think of Kentucky, you think of hills, trees, and beautiful clear lakes. Lake Cumberland State Resort Park has them all.
- We visit MANY Kentucky State Parks, but this is the first time, upon walking into a State Park lodge, that we were greeted by someone behind the desk with a warm and friendly, “Hello!” To be fair, many State Parks don’t have a desk at the front of the door (Lake Barkley State Resort Park, for example). However, many of our “regular” State Park haunts do and it struck me, after this gentleman extended such a friendly welcome, that no one had ever done so before. I just love when people make you feel welcome!
- There are countless activities and fun things to do for the entire family: Camping, Hiking, Horseback riding, Playgrounds, Fishing, Disc Golf, Shuffleboard, Miniature Golf, Sand Volleyball, Basketball, Picnicking, Tennis, Boating, Swimming (indoor pool), and photography – lots and lots of photography.
- The Rowena Landing Restaurant, in the Lure Lodge, serves delicious food and their staff was as friendly as the man at the front desk. The hostess and the servers made us feel like they’d known us all of their lives. That’s the sort of warm hospitality Kentucky is known for and everyone we encountered at Lake Cumberland State Resort Park is upholding the tradition beautifully.
- Lake Cumberland is breathtakingly beautiful. The water is amazingly clear. It’s easy to see why this area is the Houseboat Capital of the World.
- If you love animals and birds like this gal, you’ll be in Heaven. Deer, herons, chipmunks, squirrels, songbirds, doves, cardinals…. practically every bird imaginable. Though I did not see a dodo. Every inch of this beautiful State Resort Park is an example of what makes Kentucky so special and every where you rest your eyes will take your breath away.
Click through the slideshow below for some (and I do mean some!) of the pictures of Lake Cumberland State Resort Park. More to come!
Lake Cumberland State Resort Park
5465 State Park Road
Jamestown, KY 42629-7801
Lodge Reservations: 800-325-1709
Get directions to Lake Cumberland State Resort Park:
View Larger Map