Baked Potato and Grilled Catfish at The Pond
One of my favorite Kentucky restaurants is The Pond in Aurora, Kentucky. I love the atmosphere, the ambiance, and (of course) the food! Before Catfish Kitchen was destroyed by fire, we’d alternate restaurants when in the Kentucky Lake area because each had their own wonderful strengths….
- Catfish Kitchen (also rich with atmosphere and ambiance) had gluten-free fried catfish – fried in its own separate fryer. Given that fried catfish is my complete and utter obsession, this meant the world to me!
- The Pond has a delicious red pepper relish for their beans that is always one of the highlights of my visit. It’s even available to buy in jars – which I HIGHLY recommend!
- Catfish Kitchen had a delicious appetizer/side, green tomatoes, that I still think about to this day. It was delicious and a perfect accompaniment to their beans.
- The Pond’s coleslaw is consistently good… Catfish Kitchen’s never was lmao! It was so bad, I always wanted to ask the server, “What’d I ever do to you?!” when she’d ask if I wanted more. Having said that, now that the restaurant is gone, I think I’d eat that coleslaw with bells right about now.
- The Pond has grilled shrimp that’s absolutely delicious. The seasoning is outrageously good!
Two historical and wonderful restaurants and I wish so much both were still standing. While I’m wishing on a star, I also wish The Pond had gluten-free catfish, fried in a dedicated gluten-free fryer.
A girl can dream, right??
When you’re in the Kentucky Lake area, I hope you’ll stop in and enjoy a great meal at The Pond. Their prices have gone up this year, as the sign in the foyer states, but if you’re like us, you really don’t eat out that often AND it’s always wonderful to support Kentucky businesses and Kentucky’s workers.
~ Joi (“Joy”)
Beans and Red Pepper Relish at The Pond