Best Catfish for Miles and Miles and Miles...
When we first walked in, I fell in love with the place. I’m WAY into vintage Hollywood and classics, so the decor floated my boat in a happy direction. I quickly became obsessed with the huge stone fireplace in the center of the restaurant with a big, beautiful cross on the side. So pretty.
While a restaurant review is, obviously, mainly centered around the food, I always, always, always take note of the surroundings and the servers. In this case, the surroundings were spotless and exceptionally charming and the servers were as friendly and warm as you could hope for. The ladies treated us though they’d known us all their lives and, about 5 minutes in, I felt as though we had. In this fast-paced society, do I even have to tell you how uncommon this is?
Michael and I both ordered catfish but we mixed up the sides a little, so we could sample as many things as possible. He ordered potato salad and coleslaw in addition to beans and I went with onion rings (another obsession of mine) and macaroni and cheese.
- The coleslaw was one of the two best sides, in my opinion. It had a wonderful flavor, with a hint of sweetness. It wasn’t like most coleslaw – it was way better. If I’d known it was that good, I’d have ordered, like, 12 sides of it.
- The potato salad tied with the coleslaw for first place in the “sides” category. It was DANG good. In fact, I’d love a plate of it right now.
- The beans were really, really good – not too soupy, which can be a problem in some restaurants.
- The onion rings were outstanding.
- The macaroni and cheese was my least favorite. We just didn’t see eye-to-eye on how mac and cheese should taste. Admittedly, I am extremely Mac ‘n Cheese picky. Generally speaking, the less orange Macaroni and Cheese is, the more I like it. Not a biggie, though, everything else was so outstanding, I barely noticed! You may love their Mac ‘n Cheese to distraction. Remember, when it comes to the subject, I’m “Picky Pants.”
The star of the show was the catfish and it was exceptional. Honestly, I’d be hard-pressed to say when I’ve had catfish any tastier. The flavor was a knock out and the serving size was generous. I was also wild about the hush puppies. These little guys were highly original and stood out from most hush puppies I’ve ever had. Like the catfish, coleslaw, potato salad, and servers, the pups left a wonderful impression.
Some of the menu items include:
- Cheese Sticks (appetizer)
- Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Tenders
- Fried Mushrooms
- Fried Biscuits & Honey
- Butterfly Shrimp
- Baked Potato
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Hush puppies
- Tater Tots
- Macaroni & Cheese
- White Beans
- Frog Legs
- Club Sandwich
- BLT Sandwich
- BBQ Pork Sandwich
- Homemade Pies
The Kids Menu Includes:
- Hot Dog
- Chicken Tenders
- Mac ‘N Cheese
- Piece Catfish
For dessert, you’ll be blown away by the homemade pies. I’m a card-carrying chocoholic, so I went with the chocolate pie while my husband ordered the Coconut Cream Pie. They were both mouthwateringly delicious. (If mouthwateringly isn’t a word, it should be.)
Not only do I highly recommend eating dinner at The Farmhouse, I’m certain it’d be the perfect place to enjoy a quiet and delicious lunch.
The Farmhouse is located at 220 Main Street (Highway 81) and is open Thursday through Sunday 10:30 am – 8:00 pm. Call (270-273-3845) for any questions. If you love coleslaw, hush puppies, potato salad, beans, onion rings, and catfish so good you make one of those goofy “Ooooh, this is sooooo gooood” faces, trust me, you’ll want to visit The Farmhouse in Calhoun right away, if not sooner.