A few months back, my husband recommended Lake Cumberland State Resort Park to a couple of friends who enjoy traveling (and eating and lodging) around Kentucky.Ã?Â He told me a few nights ago that they absolutely loved it. So much so that they basically asked him, “Where should we go next?!”Ã?Â As soon as he heard the words, I practicallyÃ?Â shouted, “Rough River Dam State Resort Park! Send them to Rough River Lake!”
We are both SO intrigued by Rough River Lake and Rough River Dam State Resort Park. Because we travel pretty often and because I write about these travels on a daily basis, I often “categorize” a place under two general categories:
- Relaxing Getaway – ideal for relaxing and getting away from it all.
- Fun Recreational Spot – perfect for family fun.
Most places gravitate toward one or the other.Ã?Â Rough River Dam State Resort Park is a peculiar beauty in that she offers the same amount of opportunities for each. That just blows my little mind.Ã?Â During one 1-1/2 hour boat tour, for example, we saw each of the following on large Rough River Lake:
- People pulled into quiet inlets and coves quietly fishing.
- People pulled into other inlets laid back, apparently sleeping!
- Parents pulling kids behind them on large rafts.
- People walking dogs (who were having the times of their lives as well) along the rocks on the bank.
- Jet Skiers.
- People having a blast on their Sea Doos.
- Boaters sunning.
And everyone was smiling, waving, and living life out loud. The way it’s meant to be lived!
I also have a few other areas where I mentally (and sometimes even with pen and paper) “score” a particular place:
- Food Quality
And most importantly:
- How comfortable do I feel recommending this place to friends and family? Since I consider all of you reading these words to be friends, this is something I give A LOT of consideration.
If Rough River Dam State Resort Park were a kid in school… it’d be a straight A student! Honestly, it didn’t let me down in any areas. The people couldn’t have been any friendlier if I’d offered them chocolate cupcakes each time I saw them.Ã?Â The food was way above par (with the coconut cream pie being the best I’ve ever had in my life and the banana pudding tying with my grandmother’s excellent banana pudding).Ã?Â As for cleanliness, our lodge room was so spotless and clean you could smell it. Spotless.Ã?Â The entire park was spotless. A few times we’d pass the staff workers who were in charge of cleaning – they’d always smile and never failed to speak.Ã?Â It kind of occurred to me, “Maybe the reason they’re so good at what they do is because they have the right attitude.”
Then again, they work in paradise – why wouldn’t they smile?!
I can’t possibly say enough good things about this park, I encourage you to read more about out experience by visiting the links below:
Also See: Rough River Dam State Resort Park on Kentucky State Park’s official website.