I’ve put off writing a Kentucky Restaurant review on The Feed Mill for a while simply because it’s a toughie….
- At some point, even people who write all day/every day run out of adjectives.
- Just thinking about The Feed Mill in Morganfield gives me intense cravings – and it’s over 45 minutes away.
I can’t put it off any longer, so here goes. I’ve warned my brain to prepare for overwhelming cravings and now I’m warning you to prepare for flying adjectives.
We’ve actually eaten at The Feed Mill regularly for several years. As you know, I’m the world’s biggest catfish lover and The Feed Mill has some of the best catfish in the world. Seriously, I’ve never had better catfish in my life and, if it weren’t for The Willow Pond restaurants (Willow Pond in Aurora and Willow Pond in Calvert City), I’d give The Feed Mill sole possession of Best Catfish in the World. As it is, I’m sure they don’t mind being in a three-way tie. On a scale of 1-10, their fried catfish is a 500. The same can be said for their Fried Chicken, which is positively outrageous. It’s crisp and Heavenly on the outside and juicy and delectable inside. It’s the best fried chicken I’ve ever gotten in a restaurant – ever.
Sole possession of fried chicken bragging rights!
My husband, Michael, got the Prime Rib one night and nearly cried because it was so delicious. He consented to giving me a taste and I nearly fell out of my chair. It was so unbelievably tender and the flavor was the stuff dreams are made of. It had to be the best Prime Rib on the planet simply because it wouldn’t be possible for it to taste any better. Just not possible.
The extraordinary catfish, prime rib, and fried chicken (I’d crawl over rattlesnakes right now for a bite of that chicken.) are so amazing that I haven’t branched out to the other meats… YET. But when I do, they also have the following on their menu:
- Frog Legs
- “Taste of Louisiana” cajun items such as gumbo, Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice and more.
If you’ve read many of my restaurant reviews, you know that I’m a stickler for sides. Many will disagree with me, but I’m convinced that you can tell more about a restaurant by its sides than you can its meats, bread, or even desserts. Sides are an area where far too many restaurants just throw anything out and hope no one notices.
They take the approach that if the meat’s good enough, the sides won’t matter. Ridiculous! I’m all about the sides and I’m delighted to report that The Feed Mill’s sides are as wonderful as their meats… and that’s saying something, believe me!
Below are the Side Items, and each and every one is a perfect 10:
- Baked Potato
- Onion Rings (have mercy)
- Homemade Baked Beans (a favorite.. they’re spectacular)
- Potato Salad
- Green Beans, also excellent
- Mashed Potatoes
- Steamed Vegetables
You can’t go wrong with any of the sides, but take it from someone who knows, you’ll want to add a side – not that you’ll need it to fill up or anything. You’ll just want to enjoy as many as you can each trip! Click HERE for The Feed Mill’s impressive menu (be sure to keep scrolling to see the entire menu and the pictures that look so good you can almost taste them).
The Feed Mill serves lunch and dinner, so be sure you plan accordingly. You know, plan to have lunch at The Feed Mill (Perhaps a Po’ Boy and Onion Rings), then entertain yourself in nearby Henderson, Kentucky and return for supper.
Whatever you do, whenever you eat, and whatever you order…. you MUST try the Gourmet Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce. I know, I know, you’ll see the Pecan Pie or the Peanut Butter pie on the menu and want to veer off in a crust-y direction. And while that’s be divine, trust me on this one – the Gourmet Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce is unlike anything you’ve ever tasted or will likely ever taste again. It’s mind-numbing how delicious it is. You won’t be able to get it off of your mind for months. You’ll go around telling perfect strangers about it. All of their desserts are Heavenly, but the Bread Pudding takes you to a whole other level of Heaven.
Believe me, it’s a trip you don’t want to miss. Such flavor!
- If you’re cold-natured (like me), take a sweater or jacket – usually it’s kind of chilly in The Feed Mill… until you start eating, that is. Then all the happy feelings warm you up but good. You can always spy the regulars, they wear long sleeves or jackets!
- If the hostess tries to sit you at the tiny two-seater table, do all within your power to wait for a larger table. Unfortunately, we got the tiny table on our last visit. By the end of our meal, we were reaching around half a dozen dishes trying to get to our beloved Bread Pudding. I looked, with envy, at the other couples sitting at 4 seat tables…. and some even came in after us! Hold out for a 4 seater if you can because you’ll want to spread out and enjoy your Heavenly meal.
- The food is made fresh to order which means that, sometimes, it can take a bit. So order an appetizer or an order of onion rings to hold you over. The amount of time it takes kind of varies each trip – it depends mainly on how busy they are. Besides, ordering an appetizer gives you an opportunity to enjoy even more of their spectacular food!
- GO! I don’t care how far away you live from Morganfield, Kentucky – make a special trip. It’ll be worth it, I promise. The food, the vibe, the friendly people, the adorable decor.. even the iced tea is superb.
Weekly Specials at The Feed Mill
All-U-Can Eat Cajun
All-U-Can Eat Cajun
Grilled Prime Rib Dinner
All-U-Can Eat Catfish Fiddlers
Grilled Prime Rib Dinner
The Feed Mill Restaurant & Bar
3541 US Hwy 60 E
Morganfield, KY 42437
Click HERE for directions to The Feed Mill.
View Larger Map
Leave a Reply